So, we had Clay's 2 weeks doctor's appointment yesterday and I was all worried about his weight. I learned in my breastfeeding class that he should be up to his birth weight by his 2 week check up. Well... last week I received a call from one of the lactation consultants from the hospital checking up on me to see how breastfeeding was going. I told them it was going good! She then asked how many times I was feeding him a day and I said around 6 or 7 times. Clay is a hard sleeper and also has a tendency to fall asleep when feeding. Once that happens, it's almost impossible to wake him up! The lactation consultant then proceeded to tell me that 6 or 7 times is NOT enough and I should be feeding him at least 8 - 12 times a day... even if I have to wake him up every 2 - 3 hours. She said that babies do not know when they are hungry so we need to feed them regularly. She had me all freaked out! I thought I was a bad mom because I hadn't been feeding him enough. So I tried to feed him every 2 - 3 hours - that didn't go over very well! It took all my time and energy just trying to keep him awake!
Which leads me back to the doctor's appointment. I knew he must be putting on weight because his belly and cheeks were getting a little chubby. I was hoping he'd be back up to his birth weight of 8 lbs 7 oz. They weighed him... and little chub weighs 9 lbs 9 oz!!!!!!! Far surpassing his birth weight! I could not believe it (the doctor couldn't either)! We have now been given the go ahead to let him sleep and eat when he wants. The doctor said that if he wants to sleep for 12 hours straight... let him.
Everything else checked out great as well. We do have to vary his sleeping position because he favors his head turning to the right side and she said that it was looking a little "flat" (nothing out of the ordinary, though).
Well... the monster is getting restless in his swing (which, by the way is the BEST invention in the world) so I must go tend to him.
Lifecafe Ultimate Asian Bowl copycat
10 years ago



4 comments:
I am SO impressed! You are such a good little mommy and baby Clay is doing awesome! That is the best news ever - Wy was barely back to his birth weight at 2 weeks and I remember being stressed about it. I hope he stays a good sleeper - you are blessed.
Holy Cow!! Has he already grown out of his "newborn" clothes?! Oh, and whoever invented the swing should be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. I mean, how do mama's and baby's get "peace"???
Wow Leslie...that's great!!! Sounds like he's doing very well...and you too! I'm happy that things are going so well for your sweet boy. Can't WAIT to meet him!
I'm so glad to read the happy posts about Clay! It sounds like y'all are really enjoying your time with him. I'm so happy for you!
Post a Comment