Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Operation Sippy Cup is Under Way!

Yesterday we began "Operation Sippy Cup" in an effort to rid our house of the dreaded Dr. Brown's Bottles. I will be so glad when I can pack away those bottles! They are a PAIN to clean! I've been trying out the sippy cup for the last few months and Clay has had no part of it. Lately he's been taking a sippy cup every once in a while, but still prefers his bottle. At his 1 year check up last week, I asked his doctor if she had any advice... and she didn't. She just said we've got to practice "tough love" and to not give in when he throws a fit. She did say that I could continue the formula bottle at bedtime since that's probably the only "cuddle time" I get with Baby Clay (and... she's right).

So yesterday, Clay went to daycare with only sippy cups... and the sippy cups came back pretty much full. He did take a couple of ounces of milk (Woo-Hoo! We're on real milk now!!) at dinner out of a sippy cup. Once it was time for his bedtime bottle, he drank it like he's never had anything to drink before! He gulped it down in about two bedtime songs (it usually takes him 4 bedtime songs to drink it all). Hmmm... this is going to be tough!

I sent him to daycare this morning armed with only sippy cups, so we'll see what happens! Hopefully he'll get so thirsty, he'll give in!

This is the reaction I got this morning when I set the sippy cup of milk on his tray. Yeah, not the reaction I was looking for!
But what's this? Someone got thirsty and actually gave in a little.

Hopefully I'll get a good report when I pick him up from daycare!

4 comments:

Christy Ward said...

Wish I could give you some advice, but A made the transition to sippy cup w/o complaint....that is the only transition that has been easy for us!

Emily said...

Wy was the same way. He never took to the sippy cup until he had to i.e. we stopped the bottles at 1 year. I was panicked too but eventually, he made the transition. Yes, tough love works but it isn't always easy. We tried so many different kinds of sippy cups trying to find "the one." And we held on to the night time bottle longer too. You will be checking this off your "to do" list before you know it!

LuLu's Lane said...

Oh wee that face is just too much. I know girl-tough love must be hard but stay strong and he will get use to it. He looks like such a big boy in that last pic.

Anonymous said...

bless his little heart! so many changes after that first birthday!!! girl, kinley was the same way. sounds like you are doing a great job with it! it took ME a little while to get used to it. i had been bottle/ounce driven for so long i kept worrying that she wasn't getting enough milk. he looks like he is going to do just fine though!