Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Newest Obsession

No, it's not the 4 boxes of Girl Scout cookies I got from my niece this past weekend... No, it's not the new season of American Idol (although, there are a few really good people I'm rooting for this season - did anyone see the guy who did the Paula Abdul song - FABULOUS!).

My newest obsession is COUPONS!!!!! I have turned into a coupon freak! Before, I snubbed my nose at coupons - thinking they were a big old waste of time. Fifty cents here, forty cents here... sometimes a whole dollar - wasn't worth my time collecting them. Until a friend of mine passed along a website that created this monster I have become (Thanks, April!). I now know how to work the coupon system.

My first real coupon trip occurred a couple of weeks ago when I decided to try out my new-found knowledge at Publix. Publix has a weekly ad that includes buy one get one free's along with their other deals. The trick is to buy when things are on sale... or utilize the buy one get ones to your advantage.

Check this out... They had a buy one get one deal on all Nabisco crackers (which is basically most of the crackers on the cracker aisle). You could get 2 boxes for $2.75. I also had 2 coupons for $2 off 2 boxes of Nabisco crackers. I bought 4 boxes and used both of my coupons which made them... 38 cents a box!!!! CRAZY! Another great deal I got was a buy one get one on Heluva dips. I had 2 50 cent coupons for Heluva dip and Publix had them buy one get one for $2. Publix doubles coupons up to 50 cents (every day!), so I got 2 dips for $2 and used both of my 50 cent coupons (that both doubled up to a dollar)... which made them FREE!!!!!! (Can you see where this can get addictive?!?) Without my deals, I would have paid almost $100 for my whole grocery trip... but I paid... $55!!! This past weekend I tried my hand at it again even though there weren't as many deals, and I still did good! Before deals and coupons, my bill would have been almost $100 again, but I only paid $52!

And I'm such a geek... the lady that runs this magical website is hosting a training seminar in town on March 20th and I think I might go!!! My husband is all about me saving money, but I think he's a little embarassed about me going to "coupon class"!

Here is the website that got me started: www.southernsavers.com

Some other sites I also like are: www.couponing101.com and www.moneysavingmom.com (thanks, Beth!).

And don't even get me started on the diaper deal I'm working right now to keep this little guy supplied with diapers for a very long time...

2 comments:

Beth Beasley said...

I feel your pain/love for coupons! Thanks so much for introducing me to this whole new world! It's bad when you look forward to the weekly deals to be posted from our favorite grocery stores :-) Can't wait to hear about your CVS trip! By the way, love the picture of Clay, can't believe how big he is getting! Such a cutie pie!

Mama A said...

Girl... you might be seeing me at the Coupon Class!!! You sound like you are picking it up really well! I love hearing about everyone's deals... its very inspiring isn't it? How could you NOT use coupons when you know the lady next to you could be getting all of their groceries for 1/2 the cost that you might pay without using coupons!!!